Monday, 30 July 2012
Don't be afraid of the Dentist
This is not anything to be proud of and really you should be going to the dentist for a check-up every 6 months. I will definitely be keeping up with the dentist from now on and believe me, it's so much easier once you just first bite the bullet. You will be surprised at how simple a check-up is.
For me, a poor university student, I seriously did not want to fork out hundreds of dollars for a trip to the dentist. So I did my research and spoke to friends and family and thought I would try my luck at the Brisbane School of Dentistry which is run by the University of Queensland.
Because they are students who are performing the tasks it will take a little longer, I think I was there for just under 1.5 hours. But it is not like they have their hands in your mouth that whole time. They just take a little extra time to write up their notes on the computer. The time frame honestly didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
Don't be afraid to go to a student clinic:
The students performing tasks on the general public are 3rd year students so they know their stuff. There are also so many supervisors walking around overseeing all the work. Plus all work is double-checked by the supervisor.
So what happens in a typical check-up:
- The student will sit you down and ask you some brief questions about your dental history and if you have any concerns you want checked out. Remember; if you feel uncomfortable at any time you can voice your concern and a supervisor will take over.
- The bib is hooked around your neck and the glasses are placed on... now it's starting to feel like the dental van. First your jaw, tongue and bite are checked.
- The student will then start to poke around your mouth checking your gums and tissue.
- More poking and prodding, on the teeth now. Make sure you let them know if you have any sensitive areas beforehand so they can take care around those areas and not catch you off guard.
- The initial examination is complete and your personal dental hygiene and eating habitats are discussed while you wait for a supervisor.
- The supervisor comes over and they too will poke and prod around in your mouth while the student calls out what they have noticed and the supervisor ticks off on all work.
- X-rays are done in a separate area (this literally took about 5 minutes) and then the trip is complete!
The costs of a dental appointment are outstanding and if you can get it at a discounted price then go for it.
When was your last trip to the dentist?